Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Love Experiment

Tonight as I was doing my laundry I began to think about the ways that Christians evangelize to the world. I see groups come down here for short-term missions trips to do construction and programs. They preach to adults, children, and hand out tracks. Then I began to think about evangelism in the United States. We have churches that people come to, and people invite their friends. College ministries give rides to drunk people and feed the homeless. Each of those things is sharing the love of God with other people. I then began to think of the people that stand in Denver or around the bars and tell people they are going to hell because they are drunk. The people that stand with signs and say that God hates sinners and how they are going to hell. There is no love in that message. The Gospel of Christ is filled with love. I then decided to try and experiment.

When people are standing in downtown Ft. Collins telling the college students they are going to hell for drinking most of the people walk by them. I decided to see what would happen if you just told people that Jesus loves them. Many times the world gets a hateful message and not one filled with love. I entered a website and began to ask the people one question. I asked, "Do you want someone to love you unconditionally?" Most people are looking for the love of parents, a spouse, or friends. We are lonely without love. I figured that this question would get some responses, and responses I did get. Some people said I was weird, others said yes and asked why, others stated that they already had that love. Some said how it would be so nice but they don't believe in an unconditional love.

I responded to each one of these people by saying something like this, "This unconditional love is the love of God. He loves you so very much and all we have to do is accept it." The responses blew me away. Very few said that they have already accepted God. Some replied that they were happy the way they were and that they didn't need any more love. They only need the love of their family and that is all this life is about. What surprised me the most was the hate that came from some people. One girl said that she was an Atheist. She claimed that I was being hateful and shoving crazy, uneducated beliefs down her throat. How am I being hateful when I am saying something so good? That is the best news!! It is His love for us that saves us! It is also God that teaches us how to truly love one another. Without accepting God's love it can be hard to love other people.

Some people have hardened their heart so much that they get angry when you talk about love; especially the love of God. How is it that we can best show the love of God to this world? Is it standing on a street corner telling people that Jesus loves them? Is it going on a website and sharing with people? Is it through church services and missions work? Or does God use each one of these ways to bring people to him? Maybe what I said to one person will plant a seed in them. I don't know what will happen. One thing I do know is that without God this life is worthless. Acts 20:24 tells us that we need to testify the good news of God's grace to the world. The Holy Spirit will touch the lives of the people. That is not our job.

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely love this!! I agree with you on I think every single point you made (which is really hard for me to find!).

    I love the various responses of people when you SHOW them the unconditional love, especially when you're consistent. Over time that hardened heart will usually break up a bit and they start to question why you treat them so well when they've been nothing short of horrible! That real, unconditional love places you above offense and you can then separate the sin from the person!! It allows you to sincerely LOVE imperfect people! ;)

    If people will know we are Christians by our love...

    ReplyDelete