Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Transition Ministry Anniversary

In the spring of 2010, I took a class on Christian organizations at Vanguard University. We learned about churches, non-profit organizations, and even created our own fake organization for a project. At that time I figured that I would graduate from Vanguard and become a youth pastor at a church. The thought never occurred to me that I was preparing for the future in a different way. Little did I know that just a little over two years later I would found a non-profit organization.

On July 3, 2012, I founded Transition Ministry. The vision and the budget were simple. I had the idea that the ministry would provide a covering for my work as a missionary in the Dominican Republic, cover expenses, and provide $100/month for ministry giving. The budget was $12,000 to stay and work in the DR for 11 months. Not only was that budget reached, but God completely blew all the plans I had out of the water! Just a few weeks after Transition Ministry was founded, I was presented with the idea of doing student sponsorships for a Haitian school that we helped build in August of 2011. Soon, $384/month was being given to the Haitian
school to sponsor 26 students and their teacher, but it didn't stop there. A donation was given to build a kitchen at the school, and now with the new construction project, the Rose of Sharon Educational Center, over $31,000 has been donated for the land and school building! This building will provide four classrooms for the Haitian School, serve as a Dominican afterschool program, and host a church. There are future plans for a second level that will serve as a vocational training center for adults.

The Rose of Sharon Educational Center
8th grade students at LVCS
Over the course of the year, I was able to work with about 150 students (grades 6th-12th) at La Vega Christian School through teaching English, Bible, and leadership. In January we began with the S.W.A.T. program (Spiritual Worship and Training) where students were broken up into small groups to put there leadership skills into practice. I was also able to take on the 9th grade Bible class for the last two months of the school year. It was incredible to see these students grow over the course of they year. At times they would come into my class room to talk or hear about the recent book I was reading. The people who had the biggest impact in my life were teachers at my school. I would go into their classrooms to talk and spend my free time. I never thought that I would be serving in a similar role. There is nothing better than to see how God can change our plans from something I never wanted to do to something that I now have a passion and heart doing. I was also able to work in the local church as I was able to lead worship, preach, and serve as a youth leader.
 
The Initiative team in January, 2013

I also had the incredible privilege to work with eight different short-term missions teams from the United States. They ministered in different ways including: children's ministry, dramas, puppets, preaching, TV shows, dental clinics, eye clinics, construction, painting, a revival, vacation Bible school, and much more. These people gave up a week of their lives to be a blessing to the people of the Dominican Republic. Through these teams we were able to see churches made new with paint and doors, people saved, others healed, many more learn the Gospel message, restore blurry sight with classes, and provide medical treatment.

The last two years, and especially the last year with Transition Ministry has been quite the journey. It is something that I never expected or though about before I graduated. It is truly incredible when we seek God's plan for our lives and follow in the way that He has called us. However, it doesn't stop there after one year. I believe that God has even bigger plans in the future. Plans to continue to working with the Haitians, plans for La Vega Christian School, and plans for a new missions internship program for university students. God has not only put the youth of the Dominican Republic on my heart, but He has also put the youth of the U.S. on my heart, especially those that have felt the call to be missionaries. I want to provide a way for university students to receive missions training so that they can one day go out and work for the Lord in other countries.

So what is happening now? I am currently in the U.S. for six months to meet with pastors, speak in churches, schools, and universities to share what God is doing. The plans are to minister in Colorado, Florida, South Carolina, New Jersey, Philadelphia, Ohio, and hopefully California. I believe that God has great plans in the future, and it can only be accomplished with the help from all of you. So what is your part? Can you put myself and Transition Ministry on your prayer list? Can you contribute financially to the work in the Dominican Republic? Will you sponsor a child? Or will you come yourself on a short-term trip or as a missions intern? Together, we are making an impact.
Vacation Bible School

Please visit www.transitionministry.org for more information. God bless you all and thank you for making the last year so fruitful! Let's continue together in the next year!

Links:
Transition Ministry Promo Video
Transition Ministry Facebook
Transition Ministry Twitter



No comments:

Post a Comment