Monday, October 21, 2013

Volunteer Missionaries

There is so much that I could write about after a few months without any update on here, but something special happened this evening. 

When I felt the call to ministry, I really felt called to work with young adults. My life was shaped by older adults, and I knew that God was calling me to do the same in other young adult's lives. After studying youth leadership at Vanguard University, I felt called to missions and work with the youth in the Dominican Republic. In February of 2012, I knew that I wasn't only supposed to work with youth in the Dominican Republic but also youth from the United States. I started to dream of an internship program where students could come to the DR for an extended period of time and gain ministry/missions experience. This dream started to take shape as I worked with one student who came to the DR for 7 weeks in the summer of 2013. This student didn't go through Transition Ministry, but it helped to create a framework for the program. I returned to the United States in July to share about what was happening in the DR and to share about this new program.

Students began to be interested in this opportunity and two young adults applied for the position. After meeting with them and receiving all of their materials, I am so excited to say that Transition Ministry has its first missionary volunteers!! They will be traveling back to the Dominican Republic with me in January and will assist in the ministry for 6 months. It is so exciting to see two young adults accept God's call in their lives to serve Him overseas. I pray that this program can continue to grow and send new missionaries around the world. There is still so much to learn, but it is so cool to see young adults serving God. What started as a dream over a year ago has now became reality. I am blown away! 

Check out www.transitionministry.org for more information. 

No comments:

Post a Comment