Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Friendship

As a missionary working in the Dominican Republic, it seems like everyone I interact with is either a coworker or a student/teacher in a ministry. There are many other missionaries that I live by and hang out with. It sometimes feels that every time I am with them we are discussing ministry and work issues. Those times of discussion have been an incredible help for me since one couple has been here over 20 years and has helped me grow so much. I am very grateful for their friendship and mentorship in this way, and I wouldn't trade it for anything. Our schedules are all so different that at times it feels like I'm either with people at work, or I'm home alone. This isn't true, but it can feel that way at times.

From time to time there is a group movie night or chili night were we can just come together and be friends; not coworkers. Yesterday was one of those days, it was Labor Day here in the DR. I woke up and began to make a big brunch for everyone. It was breakfast burritos, a family favorite. I had 8 people over to my house where we hung out, ate, and laughed together. In the evening we planned a BBQ with even more people. Each person brought food over to my house and we had a U.S. style BBQ. There were 13 people having a good time with shish cabobs, burgers, hot dogs, potato salad, watermelon, and even smores!

As I stood there at the BBQ cooking everything, I thought about friendship. There are some people that we only hangout with at church, others that we only see at work, and some that we get together with to have fun.  There are friends we call when we are bored and others we call when we are in trouble. There may be some people that are in more than one category, but it is so important to have people in each of these places. Life can feel so lonely if we don't have the friends who are just friends. It is good to have people to talk to at work, church, and wherever else you go. These friendships are great, but often end when you switch jobs or move to another town. Who are your friends that will be by your side no matter what changes in your life. Who are the friends that you want to be with just to laugh and have a good time. Cherish these friendships and when times are tough, have a BBQ!

No comments:

Post a Comment