Thursday, October 30, 2014

"Am I dying?" The honest answer.

Podcasts can be used to learn, grow, challenge, laugh and even process new ideas or concepts. I have found that theological discussions and Ted Talks are great to listen to while grading students' work. As I searched through my long list of downloaded podcast that have built up, I came across one that caught my attention. It was titled, "Am I dying?" The honest answer. Since I have found many interesting Ted Talks where speakers have claimed that we are floating in some semi-good world and that is all there is, I figured this one could be very interesting as well. Maybe it will help me understand what other people think about dying or the purpose of life.

The man who was speaking spent years as a first responder to terrible accidents. When asked the question, "Am I going to die?" he would always respond like the movies, "No, everything is going to be alright." He didn't want to create panic and tried to let them die in peace. While responding to a motorcycle accident one day, he was asked that very question, the question he had been asked many times before. However, this time he decided to tell the truth and told the man that he was going to die and there was nothing that he could do. What happened next shocked the medical responder, the man laid back and had a look of acceptance and inner peace on his face. From this day forward, he decided to always tell the truth and he soon began to observe three patterns in all these cases.

1. The need for forgiveness
2. The need for remembrance
3. The need to know their life had meaning

As I was listening to the speaker I couldn't help but to think about Jesus and his promises to us. It didn't seem like the speaker was a Christian, but his message was so closely tied to scripture!

The first need he has observed is the need for forgiveness. Whether we call it sin or regret, people want to feel forgiven for what they have done. Well the Bible clearly states that our sins are forgiven through the blood of Jesus (Acts 13:38, Ephesians 1:7, Colossians 1:14). When we accept Christ as our Savior, we are forgiven and accepted as sons and daughters of God. It is only through this forgiveness that we receive eternal life and that is where the second need comes in.

The second need is the need for remembrance. They felt a need for immortality in their friends' thoughts and many patients would ask him, "will you remember me?" I immediately thought to the criminal that was on the cross next to Jesus. In Luke 23:42 the criminal said, "Jesus, remember me when you come into your kingdom." He wanted Jesus to remember him just like many people want their family members to remember what they have done and who they were. Jesus responded to the criminal and said, "Truly I tell you, today you will be with me in paradise" (Luke 23:43). We have the same opportunity as that criminal. If we believe in Jesus and trust him for your salvation, then you will be remembered for all of eternity.

The third is the need to know their life had meaning. I believe that it is only through God that we can have meaning. If evolution is true and God doesn't exist, then we are just here because of random chance and without purpose. It doesn't matter if I do good deeds or bad deeds because we are all going to the same place, the place of nothingness. However, I believe that God does exist and that he created all of us for a special purpose. Jeremiah 29:11 says that God has plans for each one of us, plans for hope and a future. The Great Commission in Matthew 28:18-20 gives each person a specific task and purpose for their life. It is only through God that we have purpose.

After listening to this 5 minute Ted Talk I could only come to one conclusion. Accept Christ as your Lord and Savior and each one of these three needs will be fulfilled. God is the only one that can offer true forgiveness. He knows us by name and even knows the number hairs on our head (Matthew 10:30, Luke 12:7). He will remember us and we will spend eternity with him and our loved ones that accept Christ. And finally, it is only through Him that our life can have purpose and meaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment